Wednesday, April 6, 2011

April Craftbook Challenge: Zigzag Quilted Cushions

This week I have been busy making some chair cushions for my mom's wicker rocking chair. I think they came out really nicely and I wanted to share them with you. While I was visiting her I used 2 big pieces of newspaper to make my templates, and traced the shape of the chair back and seat onto them. I also marked on the newsprint where I wanted the ties to go, 2 at the top for the chair back, and all 4 corners on the chair seat cushion. Then I took my newspaper home and started looking for a great pattern.
 
I wanted my chair cushions to coordinate with quilt I had made my mom before, so I dug out all my leftover scraps of Midwest Modern from that project, and added a few coordinating prints and some neutral solids to fill in the gaps. Her quilt was very geometric and modern so I was looking for something similar.

I decided to adapt the pattern for the ZigZag pillow from Malka Dubraswky's Fresh Quilting. If you haven't seen this book yet, it is filled with all sorts of great projects and I would really recommend it to anyone interested in trying quilting and looking for some modern, colourful inspiration. I was also really inspired by the neutrals in this baby quilt by Red Pepper Quilts, based on the same pattern.
This pattern is really fun to put together. The blocks are all perfect squares, made up of one print and one solid rectangle, and the pattern emerges when you alternate the direction of each block. I really like Malka's suggestion of using close parallel lines of quilting to accentuate the zigzag pattern, so that's what I went with. I made each quilt top a little bigger than my templates and them trimmed them down to size. I used all the extra rectangles that I had cut up to make pieced ties.
The seat back is just a mini quilt, bound with grey linen and backed with natural linen/cotton blend. The seat cushion was quilted, and then sewn to a two piece back with a lapped zipper. I made my own cording with the same grey linen cut on the bias. The cushion itself is 1 inch thick foam. They don't really fit on my little antique chair, but they will look perfect on the wicker rocker.

Here is a peek at the quilt that I made my mom last year:
The pattern for the quilt top is Mixed Tape from Elizabeth Hartman of Oh Fransson! I used a big stack of Amy Butler Midwest Modern that I had been hoarding, along with lots of natural linen for the sashing. The backing was my own improvised design; I used all the extra rectangles from making the pattern blocks and pieced them into a huge square. This was my very first try at free motion quilting, and I chose to use a stippling pattern which turned out pretty well. Elizabeth has a whole series of tutorials on quilt-making basics which I found really helpful.
I think that the Mixed Tape Quilt and the ZigZag Pillow may be two of my favourite quilting patterns. I love their simplicity, mix of solids and pattern, and how they show off your fabulous prints. Do you have a favourite modern quilt pattern? I would love to hear about it and why you loved it.

28 comments:

  1. Elizabeth's tutorials really helped me learn how to quilt. I did her sampler quilt which is similar to the mix tape, and I really like it. Her free motion quilting tutorial was great. I love how yours came out. I especially like the back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cushions are beautiful! I love that zigzag pattern. When I saw the craft book challenge on your blog, I told myself to halt on the craft book purchases...but..I need that book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you cushion!
    I haven't tried quilting yet (here in Italy it isn't common), but it's in my list, so thank you for the links: I think they will help me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh - what a beautiful set! I am about to embark of making new cushions for a glider rocking chair for my nursery... I will have to check out that book for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder why the other experts of this sector don’t notice this. You should continue your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am confident, you have a huge readers’ base already!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful post however , I was wanting to know if you could write a litte more on this subject

    ReplyDelete
  8. ? I’d be very grateful if you could elaborate a little bit further. Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is in point of fact a nice and helpful piece of info.

    ReplyDelete

  10. We are really grateful for your blog post for giving a lot of information

    ReplyDelete
  11. This post was awesome. Very informative and helpful for us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This information is really amazing, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your post is very nice. Wish to see much more like.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great job for publishing such a beneficial web site

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am thankful to you that you produced this!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is always so interesting to visit your site.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like reading a post that can make people think.

    ReplyDelete
  18. its an amazing website, I really enjoy reading your articles.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, superb blog layout! Magnificent, let alone the content

    ReplyDelete
  20. I will make sure to bookmark your blog and will come back down the road.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I don’t even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was great.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I do not know who you are but definitely you are going to a famous blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I’ve understand your stuff previous to and you are just too magnificent.

    ReplyDelete


  24. It's really pleasure to read your post. Thank you so much for writing such a nice post

    ReplyDelete